The annual children’s fishing derby has been organized and ran by the Warkworth Service Club since 1989 with the goal of offering an inexpensive family outing and to introduce children to fishing. Castleton Sports Club is honoured to have been asked to continue this legacy with continued support from Warkworth Service Club members. The event returns this year on April 30 & May 1 at Ryken’s Pond on Morganston Rd. north of Castleton (look for the signs) on the private property of hosts, George and Alie Ryken. All proceeds from this event will support youth activities offered by the Castleton Sports Club.
Prizes will be awarded for the largest fish caught each day, plus other prizes. Be sure to have your fish weighed to qualify. CSC will have the BBQ going over the lunch hour.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Admission is $10 per rod
- Only children 14 years and under may fish.
- All children must be accompanied by an adult
- Single hooks only – no gang hooks, lures, etc
- One rod per child
- Bait can be worms, fake works, corn, shrimp – no live bait such as minnows
- “Chumming” is not allowed.
- Limit of 2 rainbows per child. After meeting this limit, participants must leave the pond area.
- No catch and release – all rainbows must be kept.
- No alcohol or cannabis is permitted on the property.